Sunday, February 23, 2014

1905 Dress Finished

This weekend saw the unveiling of the Nellie Boyd dress on Friday, and it's final appearance on Saturday, and therein lies a tale. And a lesson learned (well, many lessons learned).
The dress looked almost exactly as I had pictured in my head.


The lace panels down the front still bother me.  I tried several different things here, but after a certain point you just have to make a decision and go with it. I'm happy with everything else. Except the fabric.
Yes, this beautiful periwinkle blue, faux silk fabric, that just looks so lovely, is a nightmare. It sheds! Everytime I worked with it, there was a fine blue dusting on everything - my sewing machine, my iron, my ironing board, and in my fingernails. Ugh! So of course, adding cream lace was the biggest problem. I didn't realize how much until I looked at the cuff of the sleeves. They are dark blue from rubbing against the fabric. And all the other lace appliques are rather gray instead of cream. Oh, well. It was very cheap, and I didn't even consider washing it first. In the future, will just have to be more critical of my fabric before I start using it.
Also, back hooks are a bad idea if you don't have a lady's maid. I had to have my loved ones help me get in and out of it.  I plan to make another 1905 outfit, but I will make it with a front buttoning shirtwaist, and a front buttoning bodice. And fabric that doesn't shed.
The dress was a big hit, though. Here is Miss Nellie Boyd at dinner on Friday night.
 Now, I have a new bustle to make for the HSF Challenge #4 - Under it all. Or, I could clean the house. Heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment