Friday, February 28, 2014

HSF Challenge #4 - Under It All





The Challenge: Under it all
Fabric: Printed Cotton
Pattern: None
Year: 1875
Notions: hook and eye
How historically accurate is it?   Aside from the polyester firberfill, it's as accurate as it can get.
Hours to complete: Two episodes of Project Runway, and one Ghost Hunters (perhaps a little more. I didn't like its first incarnation because it was too wide even for my butt, so I cut it down.)
First worn: Not yet.
Total cost: Well, I had just bought this fabric for my stash, so I guess I have to count it. 2 yards at $6.66, so $13.32.


First, I am desperate need of another bustle pad, so the choice was easy. I had been looking at this one at the V&A Museum for a while now - I just love paisley - and decided to do something like that.
The original inspiration is also cotton paisley, but it's huge! After looking closely, I realized that it had started life as a smaller, two-tiered pad. The two lower pads were added later. You can see that while the fabric is very close, it's not the same.  So I settled for a three-tiered compromise. I also wanted something that woud be more of a late 1880s "shelf", so I didn't make it as round. Perhaps I should have. Oh, well, that's what happens when you are working without a pattern while watching TV after work. I think it will work, though.


2 comments:

  1. You did a nice job emulating the original model. Nicely done
    What will you wear over it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have several bustle-era skirts that I will wear over it. I just realized I have not yet posted my most recent Shady Lady creations. I will have to do that soon.

    ReplyDelete